6 Superstitions 7 What`s wrong with the picture?
Some people in Pennsylvania have got some interesting
superstitions. Can you match the heads and tails?
The first one is done for you.
1) If you take a baby to the top floor
of the house,
A) you should put its right arm first into the
clothing or the baby will have bad luck.
2) If a baby smiles while it is sleeping,
B) it will be a successful person.
3) If you take a very young baby to
visit people who just got married,
C) can see ghosts.
4) People born in January
D) it will be killed by lightning.
5) When you put clothes on a baby
for the first time,
E) or he/she will not tidy up his/her room
6) If a baby is born during a
F) it means that the angels are playing
7) The first clothing the baby gets
should be new
G) these people will soon have a baby.
7 What’s wrong with the picture?
Write down all the things that are wrong in this picture.
Here is an example.
In the picture three men are wearing shorts but Amish men never wear shorts.
They always wear long trousers.
SHOW WHAT YOU KNOW 3
1 Claire said …
Put the sentences into reported speech. (Pay attention to the underlined words!)
1) Claire: “I wrote a letter to our friends in Friendship.”
2) Claire: “I will help Kevin with the article tomorrow.”
3) Claire: “I haven’t yet done my English homework.”
Claire told us
4) Claire: “I met my dad last week.”
5) Claire: “I can’t come to your place now.”
Claire told me
Du hast 11 Punkte, wenn du jeden Nebensatz mit she eingeleitet hast und dann die unterstrichenen
Satzteile entsprechend geändert hast. Wenn du noch unsicher bist, schau bei den Lösungen auf S.
2 A fairly easy exercise …
Choose an adverb from the box to fill in the gaps.
suddenly – extremely – really – quickly – carefully – seriously – dangerously – very
1) He was stopped by the police because he was driving
2) Everybody liked her, she’s a
3) She was taken to hospital, she is
4) Please turn the radio down, it’s
5) “I thought you would behave yourself! I am
6) “We are late, come down
7) Tom didn’t write the report
8) It had rained all day but
, there are some spelling mistakes.
8 Punkte, wenn du die Bedeutung der Adverben kennst und sie richtig eingesetzt hast.
8 Letter of application
Choose one of the following advertisements
and write a letter of application.Take the
letter in the Course Book (No. 8) as a model.
r jo , harvest
S eks in
4 we a week Barnes Friends
$ 10 to Pete ld Road
n Aug e and use comp you
2 we ow how to typ d we can give
Babysittin er needs someone to
Interested in ringing
up people and
getting paid for it? Stu
$ 6 / hour. Contact Br
Friendship Call Center,
Street, Friendship, TX
ce is not n
to Tanya S
9 Nosy colleague
Many years ago I was working at an office in the summer and one
of my colleagues was so nosy! She asked me hundreds of questions
and I did not know how to stop her! Can you write her questions?
1) She asked me if I had any brothers or sisters.
“Do you have any brothers or sisters?”
2) She wanted to know if I had a dog.
3) She asked me if I liked her pink shirt.
4) She asked me where I lived.
5) She asked me when my birthday was.
6) She wanted to know why I had wanted to work in that office.